[no subject]

Hi Ole,

Not sure about most instruments, but I play didgeridoo (see e.g. http://www.didgeweb.com/
) and I have hearing protectors. When I use them while playing didge the occlusion becomes
the main "problem". That is the sound becomes really different, since playing a didge is
based on vibrating ones lips on a relatively low frequency. When playing/rehearsing with
my band I usually take out the plugs to make sure that I hear the didge and the rest of
the music properly. Perhaps specially designed protectors would help, but diminishing
occlusion is a must. I would guess that something similar is the case with trumpet or
trombone like instruments, but I'm not sure about that.

Kind regards
  Roland Mathijssen

Ole Juhl Pedersen wrote:

For possible inclusion in the list:

Subject:
Can Musicians practice with hearing protectors?

European governments are considering rules for
musicians' mandatory use of hearing protectors during
training, rehearsals and concerts - much in line
with regulations for industrial workers.

However, very little seems to be known of a crucial problem:

How will the use of specially designed protectors affect the
quality of performance for players of various instruments; e.g.
strings, brass, woodwind, percussion?  Singers, conductors?

Any information, suggestions and comments on this and related
problems will be welcomed by

Ole Juhl Pedersen
Associate prof. emeritus.
Technical University of Denmark