Brain stem implants and children

Dear list,

I learned recently that brain stem implants are only allowed in adults
aged 18 and above. I wonder if there are sound medical reasons for
that or if the FDA simply not satisfied due to lack of evidence. There
is a case of an ossified boy. He has ossification in both ears and got
little benefit from a cochlear implant. The thought was to try
implanting his other ear so that he might get something. His parents
were enthusiastic about that, but if it doesn't work, a brain stem
implant might help. This is apparatenly not allowed in a 4-year old
and I wonder why.

Ward Drennan, Ph. D.
Kresge Hearing Research Institute
Phone: (734) 763-5159