Re: Freq to bark domain

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:47:47AM -0400, Vivek Srivastava wrote:
> Hello List,
> I have this quick question to ask about mapping from frequency to bark =
> domain. Suppose I have values of a function(say some transfer function =
> of a filter) which are at different frequency samples. I now need to =
> find the equivalent values in bark scale. I know the conversion of =
> frequency to Bark scale(used the Traunm=FCller equation) but then how do =
> I map these values which I have in frequency domain to bark domain? =
> Should I just take the average of those values(i.e values which I have =
> in the freq domain) that correspond to each interval in the bark domain( =
> I have taken intervals of 0.2 bark on the z domain i.e one or more =
> frequency domain values will give me a single value for each interval) ?
> Any help in this will be appreciated.
> Thanks a lot,
> With Best Regards,
> Vivek Srivastava
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Alexandria Research Institute,Virginia Tech
> 703-535-3445(Office)
> 703-582-9456(Mobile)
> vivs@vt.edu

You can do something like averaging, this I guess is an issue of
interpolation to preserve inferred detail. Perhaps I can suggest a
relevant paper :

"Bark and ERB bilinear transforms", Smith, J.O., III Abel, J.S.
Speech and Audio Processing, IEEE Transactions on,page(s): 697 - 708
Nov. 1999, Volume: 7 Issue: 6

>From the abstract :
"A filter design example is included that illustrates improvements due
to carrying out the design over a Bark scale."

check it out

Matt

--
http://mffm.darktech.org