Re: Phonotactics of languages

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Satrajit S Ghosh wrote:

> I am interested particularly in American English and how acoustically
> perceivable sounds containing sequences of phonemes not present in the
> language are produced from a neural control standpoint.

So you would like to see how neurons used to "American English" would
process sounds that are speech but should not occur in English? Is this
your point?
Just an example, what about the syllabic "r" that occurs in western slavic
languages? This allows you to form nice words like "vrt", "krv", "prst".
Is this something like what you are looking for?

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *