distancing effect

Dear list,

I'm working about the localization of complex tones.
Musical tones rich in harmonics seem to sound nearer, e.g. trumpet tones.
When playing overtones in guitar, they seem to sound in the distance,
because they are poor in harmonics and almost sinusoidal. The localization
of complex tones may depend on their brightness.
Can anyone please point me in the direction of any studies of the
"distancing effect" of tones poor in harmonics?

Thanks,

Chen-Gia Tsai
(doctoral student at the Musicology Department at the Humboldt-University in
Berlin)