Re: Brain and musicality

----- Original Message -----
From: Martin Braun <nombraun@POST.NETLINK.SE>
To: <AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 5:07 AM
Subject: Re: Brain and musicality

> She might like to have at look at:
>
> Drayna, Dennis, Manichaikul, Ani, Lange, Marlies de, Snieder, Harold,
> Spector, Tim
> "Genetic Correlates of Musical Pitch Recognition in Humans"
> Science 2001 291: 1969-1972
>
> Martin

Hi,

If we're talking 'musicality' rather than simply stimulus perception, I
suggest as a starter the article by Colwyn Trevarthen: Musicality and the
Intrinsic Motive Pulse, Musicae Scientiae (1999/2000) pp.155-215. Also in
this issue is an article by myself and others that touch on various aspects
of musicality in human behaviour.

Also see:
Trevarthen, C. & Malloch, S. (2000).  The Dance of Wellbeing: Defining the
Musical Therapeutic Effect.  The Nordic Journal of Music Therapy, 9 (2),
3-17.

and the book Origins of Music, edited by Wallin, Merker and Brown.

The work of the musicologist John Blacking could also be considered when
looking at the role of musicality in society - which of course informs the
issue of musicality and the brain.

Hope this is helpful,

Stephen

Dr. Stephen Malloch
Macarthur Auditory Research Centre Sydney (MARCS)
University of Western Sydney, Bankstown
LOCKED BAG 1797
PENRITH SOUTH DC NSW 1797
AUSTRALIA