Multichannel audio cards

Hello all,

We are looking for suggestions on multichannel audio cards (models
and/or brands) as well as multichannel softwares (to generate more than
2 stereo audio outputs, be it either 5.1 or n-independent
channels/outputs) to drive a virtual 3D (audio) environment (i.e., n
independent speakers set in a way to produce audio spacialization).

The system is to synchronize with a similar virtual 3D visual
environment, where objects can be visualized and heard.

Those who can advise on this, or think could help if having more
information, I would be grateful in contacting.

Regis Rossi A. Faria
Media Engineering Center
LSI - University of Sao Paulo
Brazil