Re: AUDITORY Digest - 15 Aug 2001 to 16 Aug 2001 (#2001-159)

Sheila,

The error of measurement of thresholds for pure tones in a continuous masker
is fairly large
compared to the individual differences among the listeners, for
psychophysical methods we have examined. Obviously if you continued testing
forever that would likely not be true.  But for normal numbers of trials,
the error of measurement, estimated from test--retest reliability, is in the
range of 1-2 dB, and the range of individual differences in the thresholds
of listeners with clinically normal hearing is not much greater than that.
As a consequence, not only is the correlation low between test and retest,
but so is the correlation with other measures...such as the quiet threshold
that you are asking about.
This may not be the case if you obtained the masked thresholds with very low
levels of the masker; I am only talking about masker levels that are high
enough to yield at least 15 dB+ of masking for all listeners.  We showed
some of the correlation with other measures in:

Johnson, D. M., Watson, C. S. and Jensen, J.K. (1987) Individual differences
in auditory     capabilities. I. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 81, 427-38.

Hope this is of some use...

Chuck Watson

PS  This answer is entirely addressed to the question of pure tones
presented in a continuous masker.  If you are interested in temporal masking
phenomena, simply ignore it.
That is a very different bag of worms.

csw