Improving SNR on the list

Dear list subscribers,

We have recently seen lots of exchange on this list, some of which
are heated and more proper as private communications.  Frankly,
many of us simply delete lots of them, without even finishing reading
the first paragraph.

Incidentally, I'm also on another email list, call "Connectionists".  That
list is monitored, and some of the emails never reach the entire list. As
a result, I find its SNR much higher than the Auditory list.  I am not
suggesting that this list should be policed, but I do think it's important
that the members should think twice before posting.  People get lots
of email everyday, and even just deleting takes time, not to mention
wasted bandwidth.

Some might ask why don't I just get off the list?  I know that some
have, but I still find it valuable since once in while I do find something
useful.  The issue is how to improve its SNR for everyone.

I have enclosed their bimonthly reminder for this list, after deleting
a couple of unrelated items.

Cheers,

DeLiang Wang

                       What to post to CONNECTIONISTS
                       ------------------------------

- The list is primarily intended to support the discussion of technical
issues relating to neural computation.

- We encourage people to post the abstracts of their latest papers and
tech reports, provided that the report itself is available on-line
(please give the URL) or the author is accepting requests for
hardcopies.

- Conferences and workshops should be announced on this list at most
twice: once to send out a call for papers, and once to remind
non-authors about the registration deadline.  A flood of repetitive
announcements about the same conference is not welcome here.  For
major neural net conferences (e.g., NIPS, IJCNN, INNS) we'll allow a
second call for papers close (but not unreasonably close) to the
deadline.

-  Announcements of job openings related to neural computation.

-  Announcements of new books related to neural computation.

- Requests for ADDITIONAL references.  This has been a particularly
sensitive subject.  Please try to demonstrate that you have already
pursued the quick, obvious routes to finding the information you
desire.  You should also give people something back in return for
bothering them.  The easiest way to do both these things is to FIRST
do the library work to find the basic references, then POST these as
part of your query.  Here's an example:

     WRONG WAY: "Can someone please mail me all references to cascade
     correlation?"

     RIGHT WAY: Enclosed is a bibliography I've compiled of papers
     referencing cascade correlation.  If you are aware of additional
     papers not listed here, please send me the citations and I'll
     include them in the next version.

                        What NOT to post to CONNECTIONISTS:

 * Requests for reprints of papers, or for persons' email addresses.

 * Job postings, unless the posting makes specific mention of neural
   nets or a closely related topic (e.g., computational neuroscience.)