Re: AUDITORY Digest - 10 May 2001 (#2001-88)

Dear All,

I am coming into the discussion of streams vs. groupings in the
middle, so hope that I haven't missed a key distinction that will
make my remarks below irrelevant.

In neural models that attempt to explain and simulate data about
auditory streams and groupings, there are shared mechanisms--which
may enhance the possibility of confusion between the two--but they
also seem to operate at distinct brain levels and have their own
specialized form. This is the case if you use the word grouping
primarily to include the concept of chunking, or unitization, say in
the sense of George Miller's Magic Number 7, rather than as an
all-embracing concept for all temporal binding processes.

In particular, auditory streams may arise due to resonant feedback
interactions between two levels of processing that represent spectral
information and pitch information, respectively. Groupings may arise
due to resonant feedback interactions between two levels of
processing that represent working memory items and list chunks,
respectively. These distinct processes also interact.

Steve Grossberg

All,

It is certainly tempting to say that if Al B. is uncertain about "streams"
vs. "groups" the rest of us should avoid the issue.  But that question did
cause me to reflect over the reason for the quick acceptance, some years ago
now, of the concept of "streams", which might have been argued to have been
unnecessary, given the rich vocabulary already established by Gestalt
psychologists.  Perhaps it was already obvious to most of you...but it just
occurred to me that we did need a word to characterize grouping phenomena in
audition, where the temporal dimension dominates.  The Gestalt vocabulary
had been developed primarily with static visual displays in mind, even
though its founders clearly believed that the grouping principles were valid
for all modalities.  "Streams and streaming" nicely capture the temporal
dimension that is the essential property of most auditory grouping
phenomena.

Chuck Watson