Re: AP in all of us? New evidence from speech research

One of my Chinese students explained to me that there are four
basic Chinese pitch patterns, at least for mandarin:

1) flat pitch
2) rising pitch contour
3) high-to-low or high-to-low-high pitch contour
4) falling pitch contour

He then gave me the following phrases that would help me get around
Beijing:

ni3 hao3         -- hello
xie4 xie4        -- thanks  (x pronouced "tsh", I think)
dui4 bu4 qi3     -- sorry or excuse me
zai4 jian4       -- goodbye (z pronounced "j")
duo1 shao3 qian2 -- how much?
tai4 gui4 le     -- too expensive
tching3          -- please

It's not the absolute pitch that's important, it's the shape of the
contour. If you get the pitch contour wrong, you won't be understood.

Jim Beauchamp