Re: AP in all of us? New evidence from speech research

Martin, I'd suggest reading material written both by Boon and Wilson as well as
Andrews.  These materials should come up in any search using voice.  As to
whether pitch is necessary for speech, you are correct in a quite literal sense
but uninflected or highly pitch varient speech is unintelligable.  Deaf persons
can learn to control the speech of their pitch sufficiently to be understood.

Now let me make another comment on pitch.  Languages such as Chinese people
speak do absolutely require control of pitch so what you have said about
speech not requiring pitch control is patently untrue for some speech.  I cannot
comment on speech training of Chinese deaf as I have no first hand experience
with it.

Tom

Tom Brennan, CCC-A/SLP, RHD
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html