Re: Why the music is music and the noise is noise?

Can we build a system which can turn the noise to the music?
First the disclaimer: I am not a musician, I don't have any formal
music training, and I can't even read the score for we learnt a
substitute system denote music back in China. So I can only speak in
layman's term about music. ;-)

I think to answer the original question you have to define what noise
or music is. If you adhere to the acoustic domain, then noise can be
defined as a piece of sound filled with random frequencies, and music
can be defined as a structured sequence of sounds with different
pitches. Depending on the frequency content, you have "white" noise,
"pink" noise, etc. Recently, we started to use band-passed noise
(BPN) to map the higher areas beyond the primary auditory cortex.
Depending on the center frequency and band-width, those BPNs
definitely have a defined pitch. And I think some percussion
instruments can also fit into that category. So if you put those
"noises" into a sequence with rhythm, tempo, etc., I think you can
have a piece of "music", though it may not evoke the emotion we
desire.

Speaking of emotion, we have extended our definition into the
socio-psychological domain. Then the question becomes when will
someone's pleasance become someone else's annoyance? I think many of
you have already made this point.

Biao

--
Biao Tian PhD