Re: Directional Perception

Hi John.

Actually, this is a certain group of psychologist's definition of echo location.
The blind, those in the blindness field, and many in perceptual psychology use
echo location as a term to identify sound whether produced by the individual or
in the environment.  For example, when I walk down a street, I can "hear" sigh
posts and trees but it is through no sound that I make.  I use self produced
sounds for echo locating over distances generally of 20 feet or more.  When I
walk and hear environmental items such as signs, I am largely using the echos
produced by environmental sounds echoing from those objects.  The low frequency
component is primarily what is used for basic detection (around 500Hz, but the
high frequency (above 8000Hz and likely more above 11000Hz is what gives
definition (clearness) to objects.

Tom

Tom Brennan, CCC-A/SLP, RHD
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html