Re: Austin's "The Problem(s) with success"

Al Bregman a écrit :

> We had thought of just putting up demos on our own website, but that doesn't
> address the question of funding, and the funding agencies seem to require
> some refereeing process.

Al,

I think the funders are thinking in 20th Century terms, not 21st Century
terms. What's the point of refereeing in such a situation? I think the
idea of the Web is that you could include online refereeing with the
demos; that is have the possibility for users to critique the demo as
they try it under various conditions, perhaps specifying under what
conditions it works and under what conditions it doesn't. These could
all be available online, like the book reviews on Amazon.com. Once a
clear trend emerges, someone could take it upon themselves to improve
the demo. This way the demo could evolve according to collective
opinion. A classic editor/reviewer refereeing process in such a
situation seems to me to be completely absurd and kills the very
interactivity that such a site should embody.

Steve

--
Stephen McAdams
Equipe Perception et Cognition Musicales