Re: musical elements - conceptual correlations

You can find some of the commonly used semantic terms for all kinds
of auditory events in these works:

A recent talk given by Kidd, Gary R. and Watson, Charles S. at the fall
1999 ASA meeting in Columbus:  "Sound quality judgements of everyday
sounds".  J. Acoust. Soc. Am. vol. 106, no. 4 pt.2  pg 2267

Published reports include:

Osgood, Charles (1952) Psych. Bulletin, 49 p. 197.

Solomon, Lawrence M. (1958) Semantic Approach to the Perception of Complex
Sounds, JASA 30(5), pp 421-425

Von Bismarck, G. (1974) Timber of Steady Sounds: A Factorial Investigation
of its Verbal Attributes, Acustica 30,  146-159.

Von Bismarck, G. (1974) Sharpness of Steady Sounds: Acustica 30, 159-172.

Howard Jr., James H. & Sliverman, Eugene (1976).  A Multidimensional
Scaling Analysis of 16 Complex Sounds.  Perception & Psychophysics 19(2),
1993-200.

Bjork, E.A. (1985) The Perceived Quality of Natural Sounds, Acustica,
1957, 185-188.

Hope these are helpful!

Brian Gygi
Psychology Dept.