Re: autocorrelation

Laurent Demany wrote:

> Peter Cariani wrote:
> >I just made some isochronous click trains from harmonics of 100,
> >both 3000-10000 and 5000-10000, and added the click trains to themselves,
> >offset with a delay that ranged from 1-5 msec. (For example A = 1 msec, B
> = 9msec).
> >101000000101000000101000000
> >The 1 msec offset hardly masks the pitch at all, while there
> >is a little masking by the time one gets to 3 and 4 msec, but not enough
> >to obliterate the low pitch. None of these offsets changes the pitch.
> >Now, if one assumed 1 spike per click, and a first-order interval
> >representation, then the pitch should change and the 100 Hz pitch should be
> >masked out (but it doesn't and isn't).
> >What would be your interpretation of this?
>
> I guess that a significant part of the Auditory list is now tired of this
> debate, but let me nonetheless come to the rescue of Christian (briefly):
> Peter, the observation you report is not consistent with observations
> described in the last paragraph of K&D's General Discussion. The
> discrepancy can be explained by supposing that your filtered click trains
> were not mixed with low-pass noise, which gave rise to spectral artifacts
> (audible combination tones at low frequencies).
>
>         Laurent

Laurent, Christian,

I am probably sticking my neck out here and showing my ignorance
about your experiment, but did you actually look at your click trains
with a filter?

In otherwords, are you SURE that the HWR filtered click tran has
a correlation that is not peaked at the pitch period?

Your argument applies to the wideband signal, but does it apply to the
filtered one?

I hope I haven't said something really stupid here. It has been
a while since I read the paper:
(JASA vol 104(4), Oct. 1998, page 2298, right?).

If I have, please forgive me.

Jont
--
Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161

"You can't hope to win unless you know how to lose."
"An expert is one who has made all the mistakes in a subfield."
"Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment."
"Experience is what you get when you dont get what you want." -rlg