cochlear discussions

If I can just add a small suggestion about this discussion.

Perhaps the people involved in the discussion can use a bit of judgment: if
the points being discussed are highly technical and/or very specifically
directed at one or two individuals, then a posting to those individuals is
appropriate. We don't all need to read about it.

On the other hand, if you have a more general point to make, or wish to
invite discussion, then a posting to the list is certainly appropriate and
very welcome. However, in this case, please be aware that those of us who
are not biophysicists will not have a clue what you're talking about if you
use highly technical jargon. Similarly, if you are addressing the comments
to a broad group, please avoid references that only one or two people will
follow--a lot of the stuff posted is difficult to parse and seems destined
for an "in-group."

With a little thought about the recipients of your messages, these kinds of
discussions can be very fruitful and enlightening, but otherwise they make
most of us hit the old delete button rather quickly.

Thank you

Robert

Robert J. Zatorre, Ph.D.
Montreal Neurological Institute