Re: Operational Definition of Musician

William,

It probably depends on what sort of musical skill you're interested
in. One telling piece of research presented last year by van Egmond &
Boswijk showed that ability to identify the tonic of a brief harmonic
or melodic excerpt was independent of years of musical training. This
question probably has a lot of depth left to explore.

-Bret Aarden.

van Egmond, R., & M. Boswijk. 1999. Tonality perception in musical
excerpts and chords. Conference paper, _Society for Music Perception
and Cognition_: Chicago, IL.

Dear Group,

Though I follow the discussion of this list regularly, I have yet to make a
contribution and was not terrible sure how one does.
Thus, I send my apologies in advance if I have failed to submit this
question correctly:

Does anyone know of an established criteria by which a researcher can
separate a collection of subjects into groups of musicians and
non-musicians?

Sincerely,

William Cooper
University of Texas at Dallas

email: <mailto:wcooper@utdallas.edu>wcooper@utdallas.edu
Bret Aarden     2590 Neil Ave #C, Columbus, OH 43202    Home: 614/270-2502
Graduate Student, School of Music, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Cognitive and Systematic Musicology Laboratory           Lab: 614/292-7321