Re: Psychoacoustics and music: Intro refs?

Athanassios Protopapas wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> A student of mine asked about the psychoacoustics of music, a topic on
> which I know next to nothing.  I saw a recent collection at the MIT Press
> catalog edited by Perry Cook titled "Music, Cognition, and Computerized
> Sound: An Introduction to Psychoacoustics".  Is it as perfect a match as
> it sounds?
>
> Are there any other recommendations?  For a more general introduction I
> was planning to lend her my copies of Handel and of Moore's edited volume.
> Any other/better ideas?  Is there something more like a textbook or gentle
> introduction to the concepts of psychoacoustics and their application to
> music that fares well with students from nontechnical backgrounds?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Thanassi Protopapas
>
> --
> Athanassios Protopapas, PhD         Department of Educational Technology
>  Phone: +30 1 687 5409      Institute for Language and Speech Processing
>    Fax: +30 1 685 4270                  Epidavrou & Artemidos 6, Marousi
> e-mail: protopap@ilsp.gr                       GR-151 25  ATHENS, Greece

I have not read Perry's book (I would like to), but I expect it is
excellent. Perry is a solid guy.

Get Bill Hartmann's book, from AIP press.

@book{Hartmann97
,author={Hartmann, William M.}
,title={Signals, Sound, and Sensation}
,year={1997}
,publisher={AIP Press}
,address={American Institute of Physics, Woodbury, NY}
,note_={}
         }

He is into music, and a lot of other things as well. And he
understands Psychophysics.

Jont
--
Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161