Pink noise refs?

I am doing an study using naturally-occurring sounds, and one issue is the
best masker to use.  Up until now, we have been using white noise, but now
we are wondering whether a pink noise masker would have more 'ecological
validity' (for those of you who can stomach that term).  I would be
grateful for a references to comparisons of white noise and pink noise
maskers for any type of signal, and to any studies which might indicate
whether background noise is indeed 'pinkish' or not.

Many thanks,

Brian Gygi
Indiana University