front to rear reversals

Dear List,

Thankyou for your informative responses. I guess I should have explained
that I am only working with earphone responses, hence the "in head"
placement of the reversed image.

W. Martens response:

For many observers a dry (non-reverberant) binaural recording of a
frontally-positioned sound source will result in a spatial image that is
located intracranially (inside the head).,

was the affirmation I was after. It was this phenomenon that I was
referring to. Intracranial image is more often than not perceived as being
to the rear of the inside of the skull. I kept reading about front to rear
reversals with headphones but my recordings with reversals exhibit
localisation to laterisation rather than a localised reversed image.

This whole topic of binaural recording and spatial sound seems to becoming
somewhat of a buzzword in the entertainment industry.

A very neat 3D package can be found at:

http://www.humanmachine.com/

The headphone mode seems impressive in the number of different sound it can
effectively image to the front.
The next version will also incorporate elevation controls.