Recent progress in profile analysis?

Dear All,

I am looking for an update on recent research on auditory
profile analysis (temporal/spectral shape discrimination),
in particular where it could help narrow the remaining gap
between what is known scientifically about the perceptual
limits for discriminating complex sounds and how that
will limit the (still highly experimental) auditory
displays as are being proposed and developed for blind
people - see the link near the end of this message.

I know of the pioneering work done by David Green, and
the later work performed by Ward Drennan, but I'd like
to find still more recent work.

For instance, one recent paper by Heinz and Formby seems
to move still closer to studying and quantifying some of
the perceptual limits for the same kinds of temporal and
spectral shapes that often arise with auditory displays
that use spectral synthesis to represent imagery (although
Heinz and Formby here used noise instead of complex spectra
created by additive synthesis, see "Detection of time- and
bandlimited increments and decrements in a random-level
noise", J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 106, July 1999, pp. 313-326).
Even the parameter settings that they used for their study
are for the most part comparable to those that I have been
applying for quite some time for auditory display purposes,
so it looks like the gap between the two fields is indeed
narrowing at least in the sense that there is much overlap
w.r.t. the kinds of sounds that are being employed/studied.

Any other recent work that might help deepen our current
understanding of the perceptual limits of auditory displays?

Thanks for any recent pointers,

Peter Meijer

Soundscapes from The vOICe - Seeing with your Ears!
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Peter_Meijer/winvoice.htm