Re: Upside down noise

Even a monaural person like moi can come up with an answer to Pierre's
question.  As the frequency of the bird's sinusoidal song varies, its
apparent position changes because the head shadow (there probably is a
meaningful one for the frequency range involved), as a constant interaural
difference in dB, is interpreted to mean a different azimuth at each
frequency.  (I suspect it would only work if you could not see the bird.)
I guess this explanation also means you would not experience it if you
happened to have your nose pointed at the bird.

Chuck