Re: clarification on a comment I made

Dear Jont,

The inability of a listener to judge the exact position of a sudden
interrupting sound relative to an ongoing stream has been known for some
time.  It was used in the field of psycholinguistics to demonstrate
something about the processing of grammatical structures.

Reference:
Fodor, J.A., & Bever, T.G. (1965). The psychological reality of
    linguistic segments. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal
    Behavior, 4, 414-420.
The perceived positions of electronic clicks superimposed on
in sentences are found to migrate to clause boundaries in the
judgments of the subject.

The phenomenon is also discussed in Bregman, A.S. (1990) Auditory Scene
Analysis, on p.544, and other references are also given there. It is seen
as an example of the loss of between-stream temporal relations when
streams become segregated.

Cheers,
Al