Re: comparison of vision and auditory system

Richard, right!

And,
as Lloyd Jeffress used to point out, if (1) it takes a millisecond or so
to cross a synapse, (2) there is some reasonably proportional variance in
that crossing time, and (3) there are several synapses between cochlea and
cortex....then you'd darned well better extract any microsec-level
temporal information early on in the system, because it won't be in very
good shape further on...if it can be found at all.  (Lloyd probably said
it more simply)  That was the point in putting his "coincidence detector"
in the medial geniculate, and then later moving it down to the superior
olive.

Chuck