Re: DAT-PC hookup

Date    9.20.95
Subject RE>DAT-PC hookup
From    Dan Freed
To      Auditory List

Subject:  RE>DAT-PC hookup
Malcolm Slaney wrote:
>Alternatively, Digidesign sells a card for the Macintosh (everbody's
>favorite PC :-) that lets you load DAT data into the MAC via the AES/EBU
>digital bus.
>P.S.  In a related issue, all the recent Apple CDROM drives let you read
>audio data directly off the CD (via the SCSI bus).  I don't know if this is
>true for other manufacturers.

Sonic Solutions also sells Macintosh cards with AES/EBU interfaces.
(Pardon the shameless promotion of my employer!)

Toshiba CD-ROM drives can read audio data over the SCSI bus.
This is still a fairly rare feature on CD-ROM drives.
Aside from Apple (a.k.a. Sony) and Toshiba, I know of no others.
Warning: audio CDs are not truly random access.  You can't seek to
an arbitrary sample precisely, only within a several-millisecond window.

- Dan Freed (dfreed@sonic.com)