 - - - - - - - - - - ~/Mail/inbox/587 - - - - - - - - - -

From: stuart@phonetics.ucl.ac.uk (Stuart Rosen)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 15:47:34 +0100 (BST)

> Please note change of address:
>
> Stuart Rosen
> Department of Phonetics & Linguistics
> University College London
> 4 Stephenson Way
> London NW1 2HE
> England
>
> stuart@phonetics.ucl.ac.uk
>
> Tel: (44 171) 380-7401
> Fax: (44 171) 383-0752
>
> P.S. No, it was not planned this way!

 - - - - - - - - - - ~/Mail/inbox/606 - - - - - - - - - -
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 95 11:12:35 +0100
From: Marc Leman <Marc.Leman@rug.ac.be>
Subject: New Book: MUSIC AND SCHEMA THEORY

************************************
MUSIC AND SCHEMA THEORY -

COGNITIVE FOUNDATIONS OF SYSTEMATIC MUSICOLOGY
by Marc Leman (IPEM, University of Ghent, Belgium)
Springer Series in Information Sciences No. 31
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1995
ISBN 3-540-60021-3

234 pages, 101 figues

Price: 98 DM

Contents:

This book is about schema-theory, about how memory structures
self-organize and how they use contextual information to guide
perception.  The schema concept has origins in philosophy, neurology
and psychology, and is now generally accepted as a fundamental
cornerstone in AI (Artificial Intelligence), cognitive science, and
brain research.  The aim of this book is to provide a foundation for
the emergence and functionality of schemata by means of a case study
in tone center perception.
The psycho-morphological theory relies on an attempt to combine
physiological acoustics (psychoacoustics) with self-organization
theory (Gestalt theory).

Chapter titles:

1. Introduction
2. Tone Semantics
3. Pitch as an Emerging Percept
4. Defining the Framework
5. Auditory Models of Pitch Perception
6. Schema and Learning
7. Learning Images-out-of-Time
8. Learning Images-in-Time
9. Schema and Control
10. Evaluation of the Tone Center Recognition Model
11. Rhythm and Timbre Imagery
12. Epistemological Foundations
13. Cognitive Foundations of Systematic Musicology

For book order please contact:

Springer-Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Po Box 31 13 40, D-10643 Berlin
FAX ++030 / 8207 301 or ++030 / 8207 448, E-mail: orders@springer.de

Pleople living in Austria, Germany and Switzerland are encouraged to order
through their local bookseller.

Marc Leman
University of Ghent
Institute for Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music
Blandijnberg 2
B-9000 GHENT
Belgium
Tel: +32 264 4125