Mac/MIDI interfaces for research purposes

Dear Auditory folk --

I am looking for information about the rudiments of MIDI communication
via the serial port on an Apple Macintosh.  Although many commercial
packages that handle this task exist for musicians, I have been unable to
find anything suitable for the laboratory.  Since all MIDI communications
will be handled from our lab's stimulus presentation/data acquisition
programs, we need source code for the appropriate drivers.

If any of you have information you could share about Mac/MIDI
communications in a music perception research setting, I would be very
grateful.

Thanks!

Petr Janata