[no subject]

        I am currently conducting a study on the perception and production
of legato articulation on the piano. In that connection, I wonder whether
there is any psychoacoustic literature on OVERLAP DETECTION. That is, are
there any studies that presented two (or more) successive tones, clearly
different in pitch but similar in intensity, that overlapped by various
amounts, with the listener's task being to report whether the first tone
ended before or after the second tone started? (This is sort of the opposite
of gap detection.) I'd be grateful for any references.

        Bruno H. Repp