7 +/-2

When I'm asked about the validity of Miller's postulated limit for
absolute judgements I've generally given people the list of Irv Pollack's
studies of the matter...but realized that someone out there has probably
done a modern update on it.  Do any of you know of any recent review
articles on the informational limits of auditory processing, or any serious
efforts to make theoretical sense out of the matter?  We do know about
Bob Lutfi's recent work, but thought there might be something we would
have missed in the cogntive literature.  Or do you all simply regard
the informational approach as a "God that failed"?  Any useful thoughts/
or references would be most appreciated....

Chuck Watson
Indiana University