Sudden onsets; space in music.

June 16, 1992

To members of the AUDITORY list:

I am looking for some references on two topics.

The first is the role of abrupt onsets of signals in "alerting"
the auditory system. I would like to be overinclusive in this
search, including evidence from physiology, psychoacoustics,
music, speech, or whatever.

The second is for a music student who is interested in the use of
space and spatial transformations in music.  One question concerns
the factors involved in getting a perceptually smooth spatial
movement with live musicians, who are standing still at different
locations, and are passing a musical line from one location (set of
musicians) to another.  Any references on spatial effects in music
would be welcome.

Thanks,
 - Al Bregman