Suggestions for a sound level meter (Natasha Mhatre )

Subject: Suggestions for a sound level meter
From:    Natasha Mhatre  <natasha(at)CES.IISC.ERNET.IN>
Date:    Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:16:34 +0530

Hello everyone, I'd like to first apologize to everyone whos a part of both lists and will receive two copies of this mail. We work on acoustic communication in Othopteran insects and we were looking for a sound level meter for our recordings. We already own a Bruel and Kajaer with the 1/4th inch mike but unfortunately buying another one would be too expensive for us. So we were looking for alternatives, any suggestions would be very helpful. We need a SPL meter (which is cheaper than the B and K) with a compatible mike that has a good frequency response between 2kHz and 100 kHz. It should have an AC output to record from. It will be principally used outdoors, so it should be fairly rugged. The only other company we have heard of is Larson and Davies. They seem to have a mike that has the requisite frequency response (2250). But it isnt clear if the SPL meter 824 has the same range. Does anyone know about these products? Thanks for your time, Natasha Mhatre. Graduate student, Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore - 560012 Karnataka, India Phone nos: +91-80-2933101/2932506 Fax no: +91-80-3601428/ 3600683/ 3600085

This message came from the mail archive
maintained by:
DAn Ellis <>
Electrical Engineering Dept., Columbia University