[AUDITORY] CFP: Workshop on the Aesthetics of Ventilation Sound (RITMO, UiO, Dec 2024)

Dear all,

We call for participation in the International Workshop on the Aesthetics of Ventilation Sound:

Time and place: RITMO, University of Oslo, 2 December 2024
https://www.uio.no/ritmo/english/news-and-events/events/conferences/2024/ventilation/index.html

Ventilation systems are ubiquitous these days. They are central to contemporary architectural design and ensure good air in private and professional indoor environments. However, the aesthetic qualities of ventilation sound are rarely discussed.

This workshop aims to explore and discuss ventilation sound by gathering a group of scientists, artists, and engineers. Participants are encouraged to contribute to the workshop by presenting their research, artistic works, or engineering innovations related to ventilation systems. We welcome a range of topics, including but not limited to:

- psychoacoustics and human perception of ventilation sound
- sound design and acoustic engineering in ventilation systems
- artistic interpretation and representation of ventilation sound
- cultural and social considerations of ventilation sound
- innovative approaches to improve the aesthetics of ventilation sound

The workshop will provide a platform for networking, knowledge sharing, and collaboration among people from different fields and backgrounds. We hope it will inspire more innovative and creative thinking in designing and implementing ventilation systems.

To participate in the workshop, please submit your proposal by 1 September 2024. The proposal should include a brief abstract of the topic, a description of the presentation format, and the presenter's bio. We also welcome proposals for interactive and hands-on activities.

Best,
--
Alexander Refsum Jensenius [he/him]
Professor, Department of Musicology, University of Oslo

Director, RITMO Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Rhythm, Time, and Motion
https://www.uio.no/ritmo/english/

Director, fourMs Lab
https://fourms.uio.no

New monograph: "Sound Actions - Conceptualizing Musical Instruments"
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/sound-actions

New anthology: "Sonic Design - Explorations between Art and Science"
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-031-57892-2