[AUDITORY] PhD Opportunities for UK students at the University of Salford: LAURA

Posted on Behalf of Antonio Torija Martinez.

We’re now advertising for our first cohort of six fully-funded PhDs to start in Sept/Oct 2024.

As well as the standard UK stipend of £18,622 per year (+£2k London weighting if at Goldsmiths), we also offer a generous sum of up to £10k per student for research expenses. Typical research expenses include participant recruitment and conference trips.

Aural diversity is the fairly new idea that hearing/listening differences between individuals and groups might be better represented as a spectrum instead of a binary normal/impaired division. The PhD topics will build on the early work of the https://auraldiversity.org/ research network to apply the aural diversity concept in many disciplines concerned with sound. Hence, the PhDs are mostly rather interdisciplinary and a bit different from mainstream hearing science.

We have a long list of potential PhD topics and supervisors at LAURA: The Leverhulme Trust Aural Diversity Doctoral Research Hub We aim to recruit six PhDs this year, and more in the following years, building to a total of 25 researchers in aural diversity.

I’m afraid that we can’t accept international applicants this year. I realise this is irritating for a global mailing list. Sorry. The restriction is because the short recruitment cycle in the initial year will not allow enough time for the UK visa processes. We will have some fully-funded international places available next year (PhDs starting Sept/Oct 2025).

Interested applicants should probably look at all the potential topics on our web page (see above), in my case, I’m interested in novel approaches to account for aural diversity in environmental noise assessment.

PhD Title: Environmental noise assessment accounting for aural and personal diversity

Current methods for quantifying the impact of noise on exposed communities are based on meta-analyses of exposure-response relationships between noise exposure and annoyance.  These assume an average community responding in a consistent way to environmental noise exposure.  We do know that everybody ‘hears differently’ and therefore will respond differently to noise.  Because of this, new evidence and novel methods are needed for best practice and regulation to consider aural and personal diversity in decision-making.  This PhD will explore different approaches to incorporate aural and personal (e.g., noise sensitivity) diversity in the assessment and management of environmental noise exposure.

Supervisors:Antonio Torija Martinez and Robert Bendall (Salford)

For further information, including how to apply, please refer to our webpage at LAURA: The Leverhulme Trust Aural Diversity Doctoral Research Hub We encourage interested applicants to contact potential supervisors for an informal discussion. For questions which are not about a specific PhD topic, you can email see-laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are holding a webinar for prospective applicants. This will be on Thu 21 March at 1300 GMT. Several PhD supervisors will introduce themselves and their topics and we’ll have a Q&A. More details and the link can be found at Webinar - Funded PhD Opportunities in Aural Diversity 2024

Best regards,

Antonio

 University of Salford

Dr Antonio J Torija Martinez

PHD, MIOA, MASA, FHEA
Associate Professor (Reader) in Acoustic Engineering
1st Floor Newton Building, Room 109
University of Salford, Manchester M5 4WT

T: +44(0) 161 295 0400 / Mobile: +44(0) 7928707804
A.J.TorijaMartinez@salford.ac.uk  www.salford.ac.uk