[AUDITORY] Postdoctoral research positions in surround sound in London area

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH POSITIONS IN IMMERSIVE AUDIO

We are recruiting postdoctoral research associates who will work on a large-scale research programme “Challenges in Immersive Audio Technology (CIAT)” conducted in collaboration between King’s College London, University of Southampton and University of Surrey.

ABOUT THE RESEARCH PROGRAMME

Immersive technologies will transform not only how we communicate and experience entertainment, but also our experience of the physical world, from shops to museums, cars to classrooms. However, long-standing fundamental challenges adversely impact on audio technologies, preventing immersion into realistic acoustic scenes in which the audience feels transported to an alternate reality. Specifically, state-of-the-art immersive audio technologies a) suffer from computational requirements preventing real-time creation of high-quality interactive immersive audio experiences, and b) are limited in their ability to efficiently deliver shared auditory experiences in 3D soundscapes to multiple listeners. CIAT’s vision is to overcome these challenges and transform the state of the art by developing a principled, scalable and reconfigurable framework for capturing and reproducing only perceptually relevant information.

POSITIONS

We are seeking applications from highly motivated candidates for postdoctoral research associate positions at our three partner institutions. Successful candidates will gain extensive opportunities for:

  • Collaboration and networking between the three partner institutions and with external academic collaborators, stakeholders, and industry partners, including Stanford CCRMA (US), Kajima (Japan), BBC (UK), and SONOS (UK).
  • Travel, including international conferences and workshops, as well as research visits at the partner institutions and Stanford CCRMA.
  • Access to state-of-the-art research facilities and resources, e.g., the IoSR-hosted reference listening room, and the ISVR-hosted anechoic chamber.

************

At at University of Surrey we are recruiting in the following areas:

  • Immersive audio reproduction, which will involve developing novel psychoacoustic-based technologies for 3D sound reproduction
  • Perceptual evaluations, which will involve exploring human auditory perception and designing and executing subjective listening evaluations

Further details and application link can be found at

Closing date: 19 January 2024

****************

At King’s College London we are recruiting in the following areas:

  • High quality room acoustics simulation
  • Reconfigurable spherical microphones

Further details and application link can be found at

Closing date: 22 January 2024

****************

At the University of Southampton we are recruiting in the following areas:

  • Virtual sound imaging for multiple listeners
  • Bayesian Machine Learning for Psychoacoustic modelling

Further details and application links can be found at

Closing date: 12 January 2024

   With best wishes
    Zoran Cvetkovic
Zoran Cvetkovic