Re: [AUDITORY] arXiv web of trust

This is great Jonathan,

I'll contact you off list to talk a little more on biorxiv and psyarxiv.

Just the other day I was approached to review an article - but as you all know there is no payment for reviewing articles. It is hard for someone outside of a very large organisation to find the time to review others articles. This harks back to the discussion around how ripe the publication system is for disruption. The basic argument goes something like : The journals are paid to publish and host researcher's articles, but the journals don't pay reviewers and others involved in the process. There is nothing propping up the mechanism of publishing at the bottom end, so the machine will eventually grind to a halt and the top will fall.

There are also other common arguments around the right of free access to research publications for people outside of academic institutions and large companies.

In this day and age of online social networks, it really isn't that difficult to gather a publication's weight directly from citation frequency and other metrics - no matter where the article is published. Similarly the comments and opinions of readers can be integrated and associated with publications on the same site on the internet - without the need to lengthy antiquated review processes. In my opinion the whole publication system should be reenvisioned and modernised.

Aaron Swartz should not have been reprocessed by the fabric of the west's systems without instigating change.

Matt