[AUDITORY] Multiple 5-year post-doc fellowships available at University of Salford

Application deadline 26th February 2023

The University of Salford is seeking to appoint 20 emerging research leaders to build upon its strong REF2021 performance and help deliver its Innovation Strategy. Fellows will foster world-leading research and innovation in our supportive and nurturing environment. The Acoustics Research Centre is keen to support high quality applications into the scheme that fits within our growth strategy (see below).

Highlights of this prestigious scheme include:

  • A 5 year fellowship programme, with 2 years solely dedicated to developing your research
  • A start-up grant of £30k
  • Open-ended appointments at Grade 8 (£43,414 - £51,805) (subject to experience)

Webinar for potential acoustic applicants

We will be hosting a webinar 31st January 2023 1-2pm UK time. Teams link on this webpage: https://hub.salford.ac.uk/sirc-acoustics/2023/01/17/university-of-salford-fellowships/

In the webinar will outline the work done in the Acoustics Research Centre, our strategy for future research and also answer questions from potential applicants.

Acoustics at Salford

Acoustics research at Salford started in 1958. The Acoustics Research Centre is focussing new activity around two broad areas:

  1. Acoustics for Health, Well-Being, and Accessibility.
  2. Acoustics for Industry.

For (1) this includes improving hearing aids through machine learning; understanding the effect of noise on health and well-being; or designing audio systems for better accessibility. For (2), we work across diverse sectors including space, defence, construction, consumer products, automotive and materials.

In our research we develop new simulation and signal processing methods as well as novel measurement techniques. An important part of our research is understanding how humans and other animals respond to sound through psychoacoustic and physiological measurement. This might be to examine the effect of noise on biodiversity, or to make products better by placing perception at the heart of engineering design. The Centre seeks applications from candidates who have the skills and vision to contribute to the development of research in one or both areas.

The Centre’s research is funded by research councils, national and international government bodies, and industry. This has fed into products that companies make and sell worldwide, as well as regulations and standards used in the UK, Europe and internationally. We currently have about twenty research active staff, with a strong collaborative work ethic. Many of us have won numerous awards for our work. We have world-class acoustics laboratories: listening rooms, reverberation rooms, anechoic chambers, an accredited calibration laboratory and state of the art equipment and instrumentation. Through the laboratories we are able to bring much of our fundamental research into real life applications.

Subject contacts for informal discussions

Architectural & Building Acoustics: t.j.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Psychoacoustics: Bill Davies at w.davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Audio Engineering: b.g.shirley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bioacoustics: d.c.waddington@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Computational Acoustics and Transducer Array Techniques: j.a.hargreaves@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Environmental noise and e-mobility: A.J.TorijaMartinez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Healthcare technologies: d.a.h.williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Metrology & Experimental Methods: a.s.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Signal processing & Machine Learning: f.f.li@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Metamaterials: o.umnova@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vibroacoustics: j.w.r.meggitt1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

How to Apply

Please see the main University pages on this scheme at https://www.salford.ac.uk/research/university-fellows-2023 The acoustics track will be via the link for University Fellow - School of Science, Engineering and Environment

Bill Davies

Acoustics Research Centre, University of Salford

https://hub.salford.ac.uk/sirc-acoustics/