Re: [AUDITORY] preprints, community journals, and the carbon footprint of hearing healthcare

Hi Jan-Willem

Nice to hear from you and read this interesting message. About pre-prints, I can share here some thoughts and experiences

I had a meeting yesterday (coincidence) with people from eLife about their platform https://sciety.org/ and I got a better idea about how it operates.

In this platform, you can check if preprints have been evaluated and read the reviews

As an example in hearing sciences, you can check this article: https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.05.24.493204 which has been already published in eLife.

As you said, eLife is not the only one shifting paradigm, pubpeer and others are doing interesting things. Also F1000 follows a new publishing model but not based on preprints.

What you refer as community-driven peer review I think is the same concept as peer-review groups: https://sciety.org/groups https://blog.sciety.org/sciety-groups/. Besides eLife, there are some peer-review groups in specific fields (e.g. neuroscience https://sciety.org/groups/pci-neuroscience/about)

It would be great to create a peer-review group in Hearing Sciences, I would be very interested in collaborate and participate of this initiatives.

About community-driven journal, I guess you mean “diamond open access journals” which are often own by an university (e.g. oxford university press) and there are no article processing charges for authors and no subscription.

Coalition S has recently (last year) made available a report about that: https://www.coalition-s.org/diamond-unearthed-shining-light-on-community-driven-open-access-publishing/

In the journal where I am editor (https://journal.auditio.com ) we are actually trying to get funding to make the journal “diamond” again. Our APCs are very low (150€ if you are not a member of the society, 0€ if you are), but we would like to be sustainable in the long run and, at the same time, remove completely the APCs. That’s particularly challenging for us because we translate every single article to either English or Spanish and that is not cheap. However, AUDITIO is owned by the Spanish Society of Audiology so I am unsure in which category it should be.

If you are interested in diamond OA journals, I took a quick look here: https://zenodo.org/record/4562828#.Y2TkV3bP2Uk but I did not find any “auditory” one there, but I know a couple of local ones that are not in the list if you are interested.

Best wishes

Raul Sanchez-Lopez