[AUDITORY] Open PhD positions in audio and speech processing.

Dear list,

I am seeking to fill several open, fully funded PhD positions in my group “Audio, Speech and Signal Processing”, which is situated within the Internet and Data Sciences Lab (IDLab) of Ghent University, Belgium. I would be obliged if you could spread the word to interested parties within your network.

Ghent University is one of the major universities in Belgium and enjoys high rankings in international surveys (71 according to the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities, 96 according to the Times Higher Education (THE) World Universities Ranking). Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in a wide range of scientific domains.

The advertised positions are in the field single- and multi-channel audio enhancement, researching novel algorithms and architectures for the restoration of degraded audio in applications ranging from telecommunications to healthcare. Specifically, research is situated at the cusp of signal processing and machine learning, the goal being a harmonious marriage of classical, model based and current data-driven approaches.

Some recent work of my group may be found here: https://biblio.ugent.be/person/4118DE52-A6F4-11E7-8878-09B7AD28A064

For more tangible demonstrations, please see:

  1. https://yanjuesong.github.io/Improved-CEM-samples/
  2. https://users.ugent.be/~abohlend/DOA-GSS/

What we seek:

The ideal candidate should have an excellent background in statistical signal processing, with an interest also in the practical aspects of audio processing. We value candidates with:

-   A Master’s degree or equivalent in Engineering (at the latest by the end of 2022), in any of the following branches: Computer Science, Telecommunications, Electronics, Audio Engineering, Acoustics or equivalent.

-   Robust knowledge of statistical signal processing principles and its applications to audio.

-   Excellent knowledge and experience in Python programming. Knowledge of real-time programming and C/C++ is a plus.

-   Some knowledge of deep learning. Prior experience with frameworks such as Tensor Flow and/or PyTorch is a big plus.

-   Interest in real-time audio processing.

-   Excellent communication skills and proficiency in written and oral English.

-   A problem-solving, proactive mindset and a co-operative attitude.

What we offer:

-   A full-time PhD scholarship for 4 years (coupled to a yearly positive evaluation) at Ghent University.

-   A pleasant work climate and collegial atmosphere in an international and interdisciplinary research team.

-   Support by experienced (international) researchers.

-   All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. For a complete overview of all the staff benefits please see: https://www.ugent.be/nl/vacatures/personeelsvoordelen.htm (in Dutch).

Interested?

The positions are open and immediately available. We will review applicants on a rolling basis until we find the best candidates. However, we set a final application deadline for the end of October, 2022.

Your application must include the following documents:

-   your CV and an overview of your study results

-   your application/motivation letter (max 2 pages)

-   a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.

-   an overview of your study results (bachelor’s and master’s)

-   you may also add other relevant documents such as a reference letter, certificate of employment, etc.

Please send your completed application (as a single pdf file, maximum size of 10MB) to Prof. Nilesh Madhu (nilesh.madhu@xxxxxxxx). Please set the subject of your email as “Application: <firstname> <lastname>”.

Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, so we encourage applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.

For further enquiries, please feel free to contact me at Nilesh.madhu@xxxxxxxx

Met vriendelijke groet/ Best regards,

Nilesh Madhu

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Nilesh Madhu
Ghent University - imec

IDLab

nilesh.madhu@xxxxxxxx
AA Tower | Technologiepark Zwijnaarde 122
9052 Ghent

M: +32 488 04 25 14
Web :
https://www.ugent.be/ea/idlab/en/research/overview.htm