[AUDITORY] Provision of audiological services for musicians

***FAO of UK-based audiologists and hearing aid dispensers***

Dear Head of Audiology/audiologists,

We are researchers investigating the provision of audiological services for musicians. We would like to draw your attention to two opportunities:

1.            a short survey to gain a better understanding of audiologists’/hearing aid dispensers’ knowledge and skills when it comes to providing care for musicians.

2.            a series of resources that have been developed for audiologists and their patients to improve musical experiences for those with hearing loss.

Please see below for further details. We would be grateful if you could circulate this email among the department and colleagues.

Best wishes,

Prof Alinka Greasley (Professor of Music Psychology, School of Music, University of Leeds)

Dr Samuel Couth (Lecturer in Hearing Sciences, School of Health Sciences, University of Manchester)

Mr Mark Smith (Trainee Clinical Science MSc, University of Manchester)

Survey - Audiologists views on providing hearing care and services for musicians

We are conducting a study looking at audiologists’ provision of hearing care services for musicians. The research involves a short survey (10-15 minutes) where we ask UK-based audiologists (NHS and private) a variety of questions relating to audiology services for musicians. At the end of the survey, respondents will be invited to take part in a follow up interview to gain more detailed information from audiologists about care provision for musicians.

If you are interested in taking part in this study or would like further information, please see the attached information sheet or contact the research team directly at: Mark.smith-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or Samuel.couth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The link to the survey can be accessed here: https://www.qualtrics.manchester.ac.uk/jfe/form/SV_eyS0Bfdgf7Di7Ge

We would like to gain as wide a variety of views as possible, so even if you have had limited experience with musicians, we would really appreciate any responses.

Resources

The Hearing Aids for Music team developed a series of evidence-based resources to help audiologists and their patients to improve musical experiences. This includes two practitioner leaflets, ‘Counselling and fitting: A guide for Audiologists’ and ‘Starting out with a music program’, and a patient leaflet ‘Music listening with hearing aids’.

These are freely available on our website (www.musicandhearingaids.org/resources) however we have paper copies of the leaflets that we would like to distribute to audiology departments free of charge to ensure that we maximise the benefit of the research.

If you or your department would like copies of the leaflets, please email musicandhearingaids@xxxxxxxxxxx and let us know how many you would like.

Dr Samuel Couth | Lecturer

Manchester Centre for Audiology and Deafness (ManCAD)

School of Health Sciences | Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health

B1.9 Ellen Wilkinson Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester | M13 9PL

0161 275 6924

https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/samuel.couth.html

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sam-Couth

/var/folders/nq/1_0dzbx57zn2yn8q95wm1rfc0000gp/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidF417D4E8-17B3-4C71-9380-38F36B581064

If you receive this email out of hours please be assured that there is no expectation that you will read, act or respond to it outside of your normal working day.