[AUDITORY] REMINDER: Contribute to the development of international priorities for hearing research in order to help influence national strategic funding decisions

Dear Auditory List,

Thank you so much for all of you who have already submitted your responses. This was very much appreciated!

In order to achieve the broadest possible mandate for the field of hearing research it would be great if as many people as possible could submit their top five challenges for research in their field of study. No matter how small or how big or how unsurmountable they seem at the moment, please tell us about them!

The deadline for submission is 6 May 2022.

For your reference, below is the original email that gives a lot of additional information.

Thank you for your help

Antje Heinrich (antje.heinrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob MacKinnon (robert.mackinnon@xxxxxxxxx

Chris Sumner (christian.sumner@xxxxxxxxx

Dear Auditory List,

We (who? See below) would like your help to develop a set of international priorities to guide hearing research. We are looking for opinions from researchers in hearing from around the world and define hearing research in the broadest sense: from discovery science to technology to health, in academia, industry, and clinic, and include such diverse areas as psychoacoustics, neuroscience, speech science and engineering.

Why?

Our aim is to generate a journal article outlining broad priorities for hearing research, as specified and rated by you, the experts in the field. The article will provide evidence which can be referred to in papers, grant applications, and in the political arena, and raise the profile of hearing research in general. It will, we hope, help to influence national strategic funding decisions (e.g. NIH, UKRI, ERC for example) by determining topics for focused funding calls.

Who?

We are members of the Special Interest Group in Hearing (Hearing Acoustics SIG) within the UK Acoustics Network (www.acoustics.org). UKAN has recently generated UK-focused “Priorities for Acoustics” (to which some UK researchers have already contributed). We believe there is tremendous value in producing a set of international priorities specific to hearing that represents international opinion. Some of you may have previously contributed when we asked UK- and European researchers.  Please do not let this deter you from responding again.

The Ask:

·         Please consider completing the attached survey, which will ask about the main priorities and challenges in hearing research as you see them. Answers can be as long or as short as you wish.

·         More information, and the survey itself can be found here:

Please Click Here

Or copy:

https://www.qualtrics.manchester.ac.uk/jfe/form/SV_1MNUKnEG9nEMq5E

·         The survey can be completed by anyone involved in hearing research in its broadest sense.

·         In this first round of the process, we are particularly interested in opinions from people who are at least five-to-ten years post PhD, though all are welcome.

·         In the second, priority-setting part of the survey, we will ask all researchers to rank-order topics.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Antje Heinrich (antje.heinrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob MacKinnon (robert.mackinnon@xxxxxxxxx

Chris Sumner (christian.sumner@xxxxxxxxx

Members of the UKAN Hearing SIG Committee

https://acoustics.ac.uk/sigs/hearing-acoustics/

Antje Heinrich, PhD | Senior Lecturer in AudiologyManchester Centre for Audiology and Deafness (ManCAD) School of Health SciencesI Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health|  University of Manchester I Manchester  I  M13 9PL | https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/antje.heinrich.html | https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5940-622X

MicrosoftTeams-image (3)