[AUDITORY] Sex differences in auditory processing: summary

Dear List,

Many thanks for the numerous replies to my query regarding sex differences in auditory processing.
They are collated below.

Ani Patel

Aniruddh D. Patel
Professor, Dept. of Psychology, Tufts University

-----------

Sex differences in auditory processing

Original query sent Jan 9, 2022:

Dear List,

I am trying to find papers reporting sex differences in behavioral or neural measures  of auditory processing in vertebrates. I'd be grateful for pointers to any references, including review chapters.

Btw, my impression from the papers I've found so far is that females generally outperform males (e.g., refs below), and I wonder if this holds across a larger
set of studies.

Benichov, J. I., Benezra, S. E., Vallentin, D., Globerson, E., Long, M. A., & Tchernichovski, O. (2016). The forebrain song system mediates predictive call timing in female and male zebra finches. Current Biology, 26(3), 309-318.

Kriengwatana, B., Spierings, M. J., & ten Cate, C. (2016). Auditory discrimination learning in zebra finches: effects of sex, early life conditions and stimulus characteristics. Animal Behaviour, 116, 99-112.

Krizman, J., Bonacina, S., & Kraus, N. (2020). Sex differences in  subcortical auditory processing only partially explain higher prevalence of language disorders in males. Hearing research, 398, 108075.

Thanks, and best wishes for the new year,

Ani Patel

-----------------

From Erick Gallun:

I found Karen Helfer's paper on estrogen-related differences in competing speech understanding to be a very interesting study. It would be nice to see someone follow up on this.

Helfer, K. S. (2004). Cross-sectional study of differences in speech understanding between users and nonusers of estrogen replacement therapy. Experimental Aging Research, 30(2), 195-204.

------------------

From Tim Ziemer:

Arne von Ruschkowski gives an overview of gender differences in loudness perception (in German though): https://ediss.sub.uni-hamburg.de/handle/ediss/5262

and argues that the length of the ear canal and the air volume between eardrum and headphone could not be the reasons for the different judgments of male and female participants.

One observation that has been made is that already female newborns exhibit stronger otoacoustic emissions than male newborns:

Otoacoustic emissions and auditory evoked potentials are sexually dimporphic:

Sex differences in male and female mosquito hearing are huge, and their hearing organs differ a lot.

-------------

From Anna Wolf:

We found sex differences in both ear training and musical imagery skills in music students/musicians, see:

Wolf, A., & Kopiez, R. (2018). Development and Validation of the Musical Ear Training Assessment (META). Journal of Research in Music Education, 66, 53-70.

Wolf, A., Kopiez, R., & Platz, F. (2018). Thinking in music: An objective measure of notation-evoked sound imagery in musicians. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain, 28(4), 209-221.

For both skills men outperformed women, which replicated in every sample we collected for these papers. My best guess is a difference in motivation in female and male students with music theory and ear training being the most logical and structural type of skill within a music programme (the MINT within music, maybe). Plus probably stereotype threat, since in Germany most music theory staff are male.

----------

From Arturo Moleti

There are well-known sex differences in otoacoustic emission levels, e.g. McFadden papers, with females outperforming males. You can easily find several references searching for "sex difference OAE", e.g., on Pubmed.
------------

From Leslie Bernstein

Google: sex differences McFadden

-----------------

From Martin Braun

McFadden & Co not only established that females outperform males in SOAE
incidence and levels (by a strikingly huge difference) but also by hearing
threshold in quiet. Interestingly, to my knowledge neither McFadden nor
anybody else could as yet present a convincing theory for the reasons of
these differences. There have been data that outer hair cell (OHC)
physiology is affected by sex hormones, but apparently SOAE researchers and
OHC researchers have been living too much apart and neither of them has
followed this up.

PS: I assume that females are also better in central auditory processing of
speech, but I am not aware of any data in that realm.

--------------

From Sam Mehr

We cited a few papers on this topic in our BBS target article https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32843107. The general pattern, for higher-level auditory tasks, seemed to be minimal-to-zero effects of gender.

Informally, in the many hundreds of thousands of participants who do music perception tasks on our platform internationally, we have found comparably underwhelming sex differences, e.g. on pitch perception, beat alignment, mistuning, etc, but not much of these data are published (yet!)

---------------

From Matthew Joseph Goupell

We did a posthoc analysis of a dataset that may be relevant.

Xie, Z., Shader, M. J., Gordon-Salant, S., Anderson, S. and Goupell, M. J. (2020) “Letter to the Editor: Possible sex effects on the processing of temporal cues in word segments in adult cochlear-implant users,” Trends Hear. 24, 1-2.

--------------------

From Alex Francis

I think it’s more complicated than just “females vs. males” - you’re going to have to deal with differences In the role that acoustic signals play for different organisms in different contexts/ecologies. And seasons. My colleague Jeff Lucas has done some work on hormonal and seasonal variation in hearing in birds across different species that occupy different niches:

https://lucaslabpurdue.weebly.com/

---------------------

From Massimo Grassi

A few years ago I found this:

Grassi, M. (2010). Sex difference in subjective duration of looming and
receding sounds. Perception, 39(10), 1424-1426.

Looming sounds (ie sounds that increase in level over time) are
perceived as longer than receding sounds (a looming sound reversed in
time). But this perceptually asymmetry seemed larger in females than
males. However, I now think that result was likely a false positive (or
just strictly related to the method of that particular experiment at
best) because in successive (and previous) experiments the sex
difference never emerged again.

In general, I would be cautious about the results reported in
literature. Studies that observe sex differences are often small in
number of participants and results tend to be weak.