From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Oberfeld-Twistel, Daniel <oberfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 26 January 2022 09:17
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] Serial dependence in auditory perception

⚠ Caution: External sender

Hi Jorie,

very good point, the literature on sequential effects in vision that grew rapidly during the past few years is still quite unconnected to a longer tradition of similar research in audition.

In addition to the recent work in this area already mentioned in the previous posts, sequential effects in the sense of an effect of trial n-1 on trial n have been studied since the 1970ies, e.g.,

Jesteadt, W., Luce, R. D., & Green, D. M. (1977). Sequential effects in judgments of loudness. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 3(1), 92-104.

Purks, S. R., Callahan, D. J., Braida, L. D., & Durlach, N. I. (1980). Intensity perception. X. Effect of preceding stimulus on identification performance. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 67(2), 634-637.

Luce, R. D., Nosofsky, R. M., Green, D. M., & Smith, A. F. (1982). The bow and sequential effects in absolute identification. Perception and Psychophysics, 32(5), 397-408.

Also, for instance in the perception of loudness/auditory intensity perception, interactions between stimuli presented *within* a trial have been studied, with results largely indicating assimilation rather than contrast effects, e.g.,

Elmasian, R., Galambos, R., & Bernheim, A. (1980). Loudness enhancement and decrement in four paradigms. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 67(2), 601-607.

Oberfeld, D. (2007). Loudness changes induced by a proximal sound: Loudness enhancement, loudness recalibration, or both? Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 121(4), 2137-2148. doi: 10.1121/1.2710433

Oberfeld, D., Stahn, P., & Kuta, M. (2014). Why do forward maskers affect auditory intensity discrimination? Evidence from "molecular psychophysics". PLOS One, 9(6). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0099745

Best

Daniel

Prof. Dr. Daniel Oberfeld-Twistel

Johannes Gutenberg - Universitaet Mainz, Experimental Psychology &

Laboratoire ICube UMR7357 Université de Strasbourg

Wallstrasse 3

55122 Mainz

Germany

http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/oberfeld/