Re: [AUDITORY] Sex differences in auditory processing

Google: sex differences McFadden

On 1/9/2022 10:33 AM, Patel, Aniruddh D. wrote:
*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***
Dear List,

I am trying to find papers reporting sex differences in behavioral or neural measures of auditory processing in vertebrates.
I'd be grateful for pointers to any references, including review chapters.

Btw, my impression from the papers I've found so far is that females generally outperform males (e.g., refs below), and I wonder if this holds across a larger
set of studies.

Benichov, J. I., Benezra, S. E., Vallentin, D., Globerson, E., Long, M. A., & Tchernichovski, O. (2016). The forebrain song system mediates predictive call timing in female and male zebra finches. Current Biology, 26(3), 309-318.

Kriengwatana, B., Spierings, M. J., & ten Cate, C. (2016). Auditory discrimination learning in zebra finches: effects of sex, early life conditions and stimulus characteristics. Animal Behaviour, 116, 99-112.

Krizman, J., Bonacina, S., & Kraus, N. (2020). Sex differences in subcortical auditory processing only partially explain higher prevalence of language disorders in males. Hearing research, 398, 108075.

Thanks, and best wishes for the new year,

Ani Patel

Aniruddh D. Patel
Professor, Dept. of Psychology, Tufts University

CIFAR Fellow
Brain, Mind, and Consciousness Program

--
Leslie R. Bernstein, Ph.D. | Professor
Depts. of Neuroscience and Surgery (Otolaryngology) | UConn School of Medicine

263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06030-3401
Office: 860.679.4622 | Fax: 860.679.2495