Re: [AUDITORY] Recording vibration from smartphone device

Not directly responsive to your query, but I have used an iPhone app from SkyPaw, called Toolbox-Smart Meter Tools, that includes what they call a “seismometer.” It uses the phone’s sensors to make various measurements.  It may not be what you need, but it does make me wonder if someone could write a similar special-purpose app for your requirements.

Rob M.

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Barrett, Liam
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 2:48 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Recording vibration from smartphone device

Dear List,

I am working on a project utilizing vibration to modify speech production. We’ve been doing this remotely using the vibration from subjects’ smartphones. I am trying to measure the vibratory activity from a smart device to get an oscillogram. Something similar to a vibration meter by Bruel & Kjaer.

Sadly it doesn’t seem as though we have such equipment over here at UCL. I was wondering whether anyone has any such equipment available and could help out?

If so, then I could send over the app link and the vibration meter could measure the vibration from the researcher’s phone. Granted that this oscillogram would be specific to the phone in use however, the purposes are more demonstrative of the phone’s vibration rather than used in analyses.

Many Thanks,

Liam Barrett

PhD Candidate in Experimental Psychology, UCL