From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Prof. dr Henkjan Honing <honing@xxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 10:11:37 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AUDITORY] Online rhythm production experiments

We are looking for some advice from those that have been doing online rhythm production experiments in the last few years.

Rhythm production experiments that are performed online – like typing on the spacebar 'in sync’ to a fragment of streamed music – is notoriously tricky due to all kinds of delays mostly due to the effects of scan rate, device drivers and OS scheduling at the client-side [1,2]; Delays / jitter in the order of 50-100 ms are not uncommon.

There are all kinds of workarounds available, like offline analysis of audio files or using estimation algorithms [3], but it might well be that some of you have solved some of these issues in a more direct way. For instance, a piece of software at the client-side that handles the timing of both the streaming and recording the taps.

If you have experience on these issues, we would appreciate if you would email us your tips, solutions, etc.

Henkjan Honing
Fleur Bouwer

.
University of Amsterdam