[AUDITORY] Survey to evaluate the visual-auditory analysis of 3D volume data

Dear all,

I'm Evgeniya, a PhD student at Bournemouth University, UK. I am conducting an evaluation study on advantages and limitations of auditory analysis of static and dynamic 3D scalar fields (questionnaire). The research project is related to simultaneous visual-auditory analysis of 3D volume data and involves spatial sound rendering (see more details below). If you are interested in this research area, I would be very grateful for your participation. The questionnaire is anonymous and is available online: https://forms.gle/s9vdG8m5boRR9nKMA . It starts with basic concepts explanation and application to the scanning of 2D slices. Further, the more complex data and possible ways of the auditory extension are introduced. Both the analysis and interaction via deploying auditory interpretations are considered. It should take around 40 min.

Research details:
The goal of my research is to specify the framework for the simultaneous visual-auditory analysis of dynamic multi-scale heterogeneous objects. The accelerated volume ray-casting of such data is an area of active research as it much differs from conventional volume sampling of the 3D structured grid.  The volume ray-casting operates the subvolumes, for example, defined within unstructured grids. The volumes can change in time or have multi-scale properties.  For examples see http://evgmalikova.ru/Examples_short.pdf .

For such data, there is a high possibility of computationally expensive visual-auditory rendering cases (spatial localisation of a large number of sound sources, is volume structure, for example). I concentrate on aspects of low-level design, such as GPU accelerated ray-casting and application of computer graphics techniques in auditory analysis.   For extension with auditory stimuli, I use the concept of sound interaction with subvolumes as it propagates through volume distribution. That is much similar to light/subvolume interaction.

If you have any questions, please send me an email: evgenimalikova@xxxxxxxxx .

Thank you very much in advance,
Best regards,
Evgeniya,