This might be a good place to start for those of you who want to contribute but aren't already steeped in Wikipedia.

I'm happy to chat personally with anyone who wants my perspective on Wikipedia editing.

Dick

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:13 PM Watson, Charles S. <watson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I support Etienne’s effort to maintain the accuracy of the hearing-related entries on Wiki.  Over the past 20 years since Wiki began I shifted from warning students not to trust its often heavily biased or otherwise inaccurate contents, to recommending it as a reasonable source of quick information that is most often a fair account of the current status of a field or topic.  But it is up to the “invisible college” in each field to monitor the accuracy of Wiki contents and Etienne’s reminder should be appreciated.  Advising those who want to quickly learn about some topic, to begin with prime sources was once appropriate, but times they are a-changing.

Chuck Watson

Indiana University and

CDT, Inc.

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Etienne Gaudrain
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 7:44 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Wikipedia talks on Hearing Loss

Dear fellow Auditory Listers,

I wanted to signal that there are talks concerning the re-organisation of the Hearing Loss/Hearing Impairment pages on Wikipedia, and I thought some of you may want to be involved in this and chime in:

For those of you unfamiliar with Wikipedia, there are newcomer guides available:

It's a bit of a steep learning curve, but well worth the effort, and the community is generally welcoming if you don't start messing around with stuff without discussing it first.

Also feel free to email me if you have questions. I'm not the most seasoned Wikipedia contributor, but I've been around for a while.

One final question: Content disputes on Wikipedia are arbitrated through an established process, but in many steps, a democratic approach is used, meaning that numbers of contributors weighing for or against some decisions matter. So I think it is not a bad idea to keep an eye on what's going on there. As a result I'm monitoring a bunch of pages for this sort of thing, and I think it might be useful for our community to stay updated on these. Do you find it useful if I  — and hopefully also others — post on this list to signal editorial activity on Wikipedia that may require your attention?

Cheers,

-Etienne

--
Etienne Gaudrain, PhD

Centre de Recherche en Neurosciences de Lyon - CNRS UMR 5292
Université Lyon 1
50 av. Tony Garnier
69366 Lyon Cedex 7, FR

UMCG, Afdeling KNO, BB20