[AUDITORY] New Open-Source Sight-Reading Trainer App

Dear auditory list,

I'm have built a free software game to help musicians improve their music notation sight reading skills by tapping along to songs held in their own music library, on their phone or desktop. It's now in alpha and I'm looking for people to try it out.

Similar to language learning apps like DuoLingo, the app is intended to create a quantitative improvement in your sight-reading of classical music rhythms if you use it every day for three to five days. It comes with a database of common rhythms that classical (and other) players need to recognise, and it asks you to tap them out over your favourite music tracks to practice.      (You can also define your own database of rhythms if you want to practice particular patterns, for example the tricky bars from the symphony you are currently rehearsing.)

I am a final year undergraduate at the University of Lincoln and this has been built as my final year project. My supervisor Dr Charles Fox has previously published in ICMC (Drum'n'Bayes beat tracker) and suggested I announce my project on this list.   In particular I would like to log some quantitative data from a few interested users to analyse for performance improvements and include in my student project report.

I hope the app will also be useful to help you improve your sight-reading and perhaps provide something to do during covid-19 lockdowns.   It is GPL free software and we hope to contribute it to F-Droid after some testing and further development, so source code contributions are also welcome.   (https://github.com/HaMM4R/SightRead)

Please drop me an email if you are able to test and send me back some test data, on
17635666@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

Many thanks,
Reece Godfrey.